After the relatively succesful fishing expedition of a few days ago, Harry & I made a fresh assault having re-tackled with new lighter line and having acquired a bagful of shiny new hooks, floats etc.
We headed for basically the same spot at Bedford marina. One big difference was that 2 out of every 3 pegs were occupied. There was no apparent difference in the circumstances - weekday lunchtime, sunny. But for whatever reason there were plenty of serious-looking types already in situ.
Still we found some empty spots and set up. One other key difference was Harry's long sleeved attire - taking no chances with the sun this time !
The new equipment seemed to pay off. Once again Harry was first to "score" but it was neck-and-neck as we set a new record haul (not too hard at this stage of course !) At 4-3 to Harry we nearly called it a day but 'one more cast' saw us move to 5-5 and a succession of 'last one's meant we stood 8 - 7 to Harry when it really was the final fling.
Harry's rod was already packed up and I cast once more as we tidied everything else up.
It was quite a short throw and I was only half-watching as we put things away.
There is a large population of swans, geese, ducks and other birds on the lake at all times. At first these were a bit offputting and oftentimes we waited for them to pass by before casting. But over the course of many hours it seemed they were not attracted by the floats, and certainly not by the baited hooks. Furthermore they were able to swim over the line without interfering with it.
Until this time ! A male mallard duck (I think) paddled past shoreside of my float, and thus over the submerged monofilament line. The float moved ! And kept moving .... the duck's underwater pedals had caught the line.
Help !
This has never happened to me in 30 years of fishing. What to do....
I pulled gently on the line by hand. The duck moved !
It was clearly actually attached. I had no choice but to reel it in. The bird had no idea what was happening as it sailed backwards. I grabbed the offending leg and attempted to free it. The hook was not involved, but the line was unquestionably caught (possibly on the metal ring).
The duck luckily was not as strong as I feared and was not in immediate danger, but I wanted to get a clean release. However, cutting the line appeared an option and Harry began rooting through the rucksack for the necessary implement. I considered cutting the line with my teeth but opted to take the whole duck "under my wing" and picked it up (a nice big towel would have been useful) and, thus restrained, it was a good patient.
I was able to unravel the line intact and set the bemused fowl on its way - ruffled but not harmed.
Phew !
Thursday, 24 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment