Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Karma Chameleon

I had made my plans for Vegas well in advance this year.

My plans were to NOT play the $10,000 world championship main event. Instead, I booked a mid-June trip for 7 nights. My aim was to play in 2 or 3 of the side events and play some cash.

However, fate intervened. A friend qualified for the main event in a "double shootout" event. To succeed in this, one must win two consecutive 1-table tournaments, effectively beating 80 other players who each put up $200 or so.

As I didn't have $200 in my account, I played a double shootout to qualify for the double shootout.

To cut a long story short, I won 4 consecutive single-table tournaments to turn an $8 investment into a $12,000 WSOP package ! The long story is on my poker blog.

With the karma running this well, I certainly had to change my plans. It was possible to take a cash alternative but of course I chose to play the event.

Last year I qualified for an investment of $5. This year, $8.

This doesn't quite tell the whole picture, but it's going to be a pretty amazing story if I go on to win $10million in July !

More realistically, I do hope to make the money places this year - a tough but achievable goal.

No comments: