Tuesday, 18 September 2007

A matter of perspective

This morning I came into work from my hotel near City Airport. Now that the Jubilee Line and DLR extensions are both in place, the transport links out there are really quite impressive and the difference in the skyline since we lived in Beckton never ceases to amaze.

DLR to Canning Town, then Jubilee. I arrived at Canary Wharf travelling West on the Jubilee, which I have never done before. As a result, I exited to ground level on a different elevator bank, and I surfaced on Upper Bank Street.

I knew this was extremely close to my target, but such is the pace of building at the Wharf and the sameness of all the new buildings, that I couldn't tell exactly where I was. I looked up and recognised some of the logos, but couldn't see the famous "Canary Wharf" tower.

I strode off in what I thought would be the right direction and eventually, after traversing at least 3 sides of a square arrived pretty much where I started but facing a different way and now I could see it - I was so close to it that the telltale pyramid top was invisible.

10 minutes = 50 metres - not a new land-speed record ... will try to improve on that tomorrow morning !

No comments: