Thursday, 11 October 2007

Trains & Training

I decided to come home early to catch football training on Wednesday night. After my journey took 2h20 by car on Monday morning, it was clear the time had come to revert to the train (total journey time 1h20-1h50). I duly allowed plenty of time to travel over to St. Pancras for the 16:30.

Arriving early, I found my train (and several before and after it) had been cancelled !

In the end, I caught an all-stations from Thameslink and arrived back in Bedford with a total journey time of 2h40. It could have been worse.

I was in time to cycle down to join Harry & Karen at training (no lights, so an all-pavement route. Bedford is well suited to this). I'm always impressed by the professional set-up of the training regime. But it's still done very much in a fun & friendly way. The extra drills and fitness are being introduced gradually.

Walking back with Harry, we passed the unusual sight (well I have never seen it before) of kayakers and oarsmen on the river with lights on their lifejackets and hulls respectively. From a distance, the bobbing forms looked like they should be river-birds, so the lights were very confusing ! Only close-up could we see what was really happening.

There's a cup match at the weekend which Harry can't make. There is some talk of skullduggery on the part of the opposition - something about A-team switching with B-team. I ignore all of this. Hopefully we will beat whatever team turns out.

In the league, Brickhill are of course the clear leaders, although Ampthill are also unbeaten and so our matches against them will be critical. We're not playing them until at least November, however.

No comments: