Monday, 31 March 2008

What's Up With That ?

I noticed yesterday, after 11 years, that the brake levers on my bike are fitted in a bizarre way - they sit above the gear changers and are pointing up at a ridiculous angle. I can't believe I have never noticed it before.

However, I can believe this happened in the first place. I have realised previously that the bike-supermarkets have absolutely no idea how to assemble a bike in a basically correct fashion. On mine, for example, the rear tyre has been fitted back-to-front. An easy mistake to make, and not that serious, but you would not expect a bike shop to do this.

On a previous bike that we bought for Harry, there were 8 obvious (albeit minor and only moderately dangerous) errors. I didn't bother to take it back as there seemed little chance they would do a good job of correcting them if they could let them happen in the first place.

Anyway, all 4 bikes went out yesterday on a family tennis trip to the park yesterday afternoon. Karen wasn't too sure at first, but turned out to be pretty good (at tennis) in real life.

No serious games were played, but we did invent one or two new variants: most significantly, ping-pong tennis in which the ball had to be bounced on one's one side of the net before crossing over. Quite tricky, but achievable once you're into the rhythm.

No comments: