Monday, 29 September 2008

3 and 2, and 1

Yesterday was the third "Brickhill golf" game. The first was back on FA Cup Final day when 6 of the "Brickhill dads" turned out to play 18 holes at Mowsbury organized by Derek.

Actually - Derek, Andy & I played 18 whilst Len, Alan and Boz skived off after 9 on that occasion.

In the game that went all the way, Derek beat me by about 3 shots or 2 holes despite a rearguard effort by myself.

On the second occasion, which I arranged, everyone but Derek and I dropped out before tee-off ! Derek had been taking lessons and they obviously worked, as he crushed me.

This time, I intended to do better but my poor matchplay skills were to the fore. Derek played a solid opening three holes - easily going two up before I halved in 5 at the 3rd. He then played a poor 4th hole and I (just) managed to win one back. I parred the 5th to square the match.

Now Derek handed me a golden opportunity - he scored 8-7-10 on holes 6 through 8 and I managed to win only one of those !

When Derek parred the 9th, he took a 1 hole lead into the back 9 where it was actually very close in a matchplay situation but a poor 13th hole from me saw me fall 2 behind with 5 to play.

Derek finally wrapped the mach up with a 5 on the 16th for victory 3&2.

It was now fairly dark (we had teed off at 3:15 at the twilight rate). Derek had left his glasses at home so was playing in prescription sunglasses, so he had only the dimmest view of what now happened at the dead-rubber 17th.

It's a downhill 162 Yard par3 and Derek opted for an optimistic 9-iron which went slightly left and well short.

I looked at the card and the flag and the dramatic drop to the green and my first thought as usual is "no way is that 160 yards, looks like a sandwedge to me" but I know from experience that usually the numbers don't lie and that my efforts to get there with the lofted club often result in a half-way landing.

With a big green and no particular danger behind, I opted for a 7-iron. I assume I can hit a 7-iron 145 yards which seemed in theory the right distance with the flag at the front.

It would not be unfair to say my tee-hitting was poor on the day. Perhaps the pressure was off, or the knowledge that I had plenty of club allowed me to swing more comfortably. In any case, it was a beautiful strike - it sounded great, it was dead straight, and it soared up beautifully in the way it's supposed to. It looked like it would go for miles.

"Back of the green" declared Derek (whose ball-spotting skills are not the greatest !)

I followed the ball as it descended almost vertically and seemed to make landfall just at the very front edge and in the gloom rolled out of sight but apparently in great shape. Clear birdie shout.

"Hole in one" I countered.

We made our way down and as we passed Derek's ball 20yards short of the front-edge, there was still no sign of my ball on the green.

Now, how many times have you thought "I can't see it, it must be in the hole".

I asked Derek to accompany me to the flag. Even now I couldn't tell you whether I really thought it was in but - yes - unbelievably there it was.

Hole 17, Mowsbury Golf Course at 18:45 on 28th September 2008. Won in One.

I held up the ball for the imaginary crowds to cheer.

After that, it didn't seem worth playing the 18th. Doubtful whether it's ever worth playing again !

No comments: