My desktop PC recently went into a sudden, deep and seemingly irrecoverable downwards spiral. With 4 PCS, 3 laptops, 2 internet-enabled XBOXs, 2 network printers as well as the occasional PSP etc. on our home network, I am used to trying to bring things back to life.
Generally the process involves a good deal of trial and error and, despite the incredible change in power and sophistication of the machinery, a lot of the techniques I use date back to the pre-microsoft days or even earlier.
Almost always a machine can eventually be recovered or repaired but in this case, the thing seems to be in quite a state. It won't even run properly in windows safe mode. It appears to be software-linked though, not a true hardware fault. My suspicions centre on Norton Internet Security as having triggered the decline.
I have chosen to give up and decided instead to install my laptop as the main computing centre. This has one big advantage of course in that there is no copying from one to the other.
So, after a few hours of feng shui, I have my laptop on my desk in place of one of the screens and it's wired up in all directions. Just add mouse, keyboard, screen,printer, power lead and speakers !
It seems to be working well.
I have also discovered the joys of internet radio. I am listening to Radio 4 streamed live on the iPlayer - very convenient.
Friday, 5 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment